Tackling SNIRT w/ the Stock Cropper Guys
It's fun to talk with people who are looking to innovate the way we farm. This conversation has a conservation component to it and it also might challenge the way some of us think. As always we throw a little humor into the middle of it!
Strip Cropping – Inter Cropping – Stock Cropping
Zack Smith - Zack is a 5th generation farmer located in northern Iowa.
Lance Peterson – designer of the stock cropper
Founders of the Stock Cropper is a new farming system that incorporates both crops and livestock in the field at the same time in a unique arrangement that leverages each off the other.
Why should our listeners be excited for the conversation we are going to have today?
- What is the difference between Strip Cropping and Inter Cropping?
- Does he practice both?
- What advantages are there to strip or inter cropping?
- Strip cropping is a method of farming used when a slope is too steep or too long, or otherwise, when one does not have an alternative method of preventing soil erosion.
- Certain layers of plants will absorb minerals and water from the soil more effectively than others. When water reaches the weaker soil that lacks the minerals needed to make it stronger, it normally washes it away.
- Because of this, farmland stays fertile much longer.
|Slow runoff, Increase infiltration and/or groundwater recharge, Increase soil water retention, |
|Filtration of pollutants, More sustainable agriculture, Prevention of biodiversity loss|
- What has he witnessed most on his farm as a benefit?
- Why did he start?
- Does it take special equipment?
- What crops has he learned work well together?
- What else has he learned in general?
- Is it profitable?
- What is he excited to try next?
- What is Stock Cropping?
- Where did this idea come from?
- What resources has he learned the most from?
- What livestock does he involve?
- Do each type of animal play a certain role?
- Can this work during cold or winter months?
- If not, where do those animals go during those months?
- Does he see this becoming wider spread?
- Is it profitable?
- What else does he want to share?
- What does success look like to him?
Close w/ contact info