Planting Wealth: Building Portfolios Beyond Ag
Mike Downey from Farm Raised Capital joins us for the second time on the podcast. He not only is a farm transition expert, but he also was on to share his investing story. Mike and his wife have been investing farm profits into real estate outside of agriculture to help build their financial portfolio. He was generous enough to come on and share the journey with us!
Farm Raised Capital
Guest: Mike Downey
- Like many, Mike was farm raised but his family farm was not large enough to support him joining it full time. He has a passion for farms and farmland, and has spent the last 20 plus years working in the agricultural industry consulting with farmers and landowners.
- 2018: he left a successful career in the farm management & real estate field to join Next Gen Ag Advocates as one of the founding owners
- Next Gen: Mike specializes in helping family farms with their family farm transitions, estate and legacy planning, and they oversee a matching and mentoring program to connect young and aspiring farmers to retiring farmers without a successor.
- Farm Raised platform: to help others in the agricultural community create off-farm income, tax benefits, and build equity through investing together passively in proven, recession proof commercial real estate properties.
- Who is Farm Raised Capital?
- History, Mission, Vision
- It’s essentially a platform for the Ag community to invest together passively to create off-farm income & diversify using alternative real estate investments
- How can an individual join this community?
- What are the incentives?
- With the platform, how are you making it user friendly to all individuals? Older generations?
- Why partner with Farm Raised Capital?
- What has the company done to get to where they are today?
- Farm Raised Capital platform
- How has progress come since the beginning?
- What impact will this project have on buying farmland
- Why is it such a focus now?
- How will this help farmers?
- Real estate syndication
- Why are you seeing an increase in syndications?
- Why are we not seeing everyone investing in a syndication?
- What are the main risks with this type of investing?
- Future of investing together passively
- What is your goal long term?
- Leverage the equity from commercial real estate to support our goal in buying farmland
- Where do you see the growth going this year?
- Impact investing
- How are you investing back into the community?
- Donate a portion of the profits to benefit young and aspiring farmers looking for opportunities to get into production agriculture
- What are you most excited for in the future?
- Farm Raised Capital
- What challenges do you face ahead?
- How will these affect your timeline?
- What is at stake if this program fails?
- What can we and our listeners do to help?
- What did we miss?
- What does success look like to you?
- Summary and Challenge