Navigating Bearish Grain Markets
Welcome to the Grain and Livestock Marketing Show featuring Nick Tsiolis. In this episode, we dive into the world of Farmer's Keeper, a service providing grain pricing tools to empower farmers of all sizes. Discover how to hedge price risks, understand market fundamentals, leverage technology, and more. Stay tuned for valuable insights and stories of success and failure. Plus, we'll address psychological barriers and offer short-term market advice. Don't miss it!
Grain and Livestock Marketing Show
Nick Tsiolis last name pronounced "Cho-liss"
- Who/ What is Farmer's Keeper –
- A service that gives Farmers grain Pricing Tools like HTAs, Min/Max, Accumulators, Managed Pricing Programs, with no margin calls (because we use the same clearing firms the elevators do to hold margin) that can be flexed to deliver to any elevator.
- Our Customer Base - over 1,000 Corn, Soybean, and Wheat Farmers from 25 states, ranging in size from 150 acres to 90k+ acres. All levels of operation sophistication.
- Why is this episode important for Farmers?
- Hedge future price risk on physical grain without margin requirements and then be able to flex delivery of those bushels to the best basis bid in their area when ready to search basis.
- Can you give an example of how you work with your Customers?
- Advising Farmers how and when to execute different Pricing Tools. Then seeing through transactions from setting a futures price, to searching basis bids, all the way to delivery and settlement.
- What are some pieces of advice for marketing during Bearish Grain Markets?
- Since prices have fallen dramatically in the last 4-6 months, we're growing our customer base
- Can you help our listeners understand Market Fundamentals?
- Discuss the basics of grain and commodity markets
- Explain the factors that influence market prices
- Provide insights into supply and demand dynamics
- Is there a difference between Crop and Livestock Pricing?
- Explore different pricing strategies for crops and livestock
- Discuss the pros and cons of forward contracts, futures markets, and options
- Why is it important to develop a Marketing Plan
- Discuss the importance of having a comprehensive marketing plan
- Explain the key components of a marketing plan
- Provide guidance on setting marketing goals and objectives
- When working with your clients, how much does utilizing Crop Insurance come into play for their plan?
- Discuss the role of crop insurance in managing risk
- How can we be leveraging Technology in Marketing?
- Discuss the advancements in technology for grain and commodity marketing
- (GFY) Explore digital platforms and tools that can aid in marketing decisions
- Is there such thing as diversification in Marketing?
- Explore the benefits of diversifying marketing strategies
- What do you do for Tracking and Evaluating Marketing Performance of your plans with your clients?
- Explain the importance of tracking and evaluating marketing performance
- Discuss key metrics and indicators for assessing marketing success
- Provide insights on adjusting based on performance evaluation
- On the podcast we like to learn from others Successes and Failures
- Discuss the value of learning from both successful and unsuccessful marketing experiences
- Share stories of farmers who have learned from their marketing endeavors
- Overcoming Psychological Barriers
- How do we take the emotion out of marketing decisions?
- Address the psychological challenges farmers face in marketing their crops and livestock
- Discuss common fears and anxieties related to marketing decisions
- Lastly, the podcast will air one week later, what are some short-term pieces of advice in the markets we are facing now?
- What would you go back and tell yourself at 18 or tell someone now who is young and listening?