Motivating Others w/ Jessie Scott, Editor in Chief
Jessie Scott is fresh on the job as Editor and Chief of Successful farming and we learn about her path to that position. She has successfully worked with team members along the way to build a strong reputation for leadership. The ability to motivate others is a strong skill we can use anywhere including on our own farms.
Successful Farming - Jessie Scott
Planning, Goal Setting, Meeting Deadlines
Guest: Jessie Scott
Jessie has been part of the SF team for more than 10 years, working across editorial, digital, and digital advertising. She is the 11th Editor-in-Chief of Successful Farming, Dotdash Meredith’s oldest brand, and the first woman to hold the EIC role.
- Who is Dotdash Merideth?
- Largest digital and print publisher in America
- From mobile to magazines, nearly 200 million people trust them to help make decisions, take action, and find inspiration
- Founded in 1902 with Successful Farming
- Ove 40 iconic brands - PEOPLE, Better Homes and Gardens, Verywell, etc.
- Based in NYC and is an operating business of IAC
- Jessie’s Background
- Grew up on a corn, soybean, and cow-calf farm in Marengo, IA, where her parents farm today.
- Graduated from Drake University in Journalism and Mass Communications
- Studied abroad to Australia during Spring 2010 - Writing, History, and Pop Culture
- International Federation of Ag Journalists Alltech Young Leader in Agricultural Journalism Award | 2017
- Andy Markwart Horizon Award | 2017
- Ag Communicators Network (ACN) Master Writer Award | 2016
- ACN First Place On-Farm Production Article | 2016
- ACN First Place Technical Feature | 2016
- Planning/Goal Setting/Motivating – How do we get/encourage others to meet our deadlines?
- What steps have you taken to lift your goal setting to the next level?
- What’s the key to go from goal setting to achieving those goals?
- What are your methods for tracking your progress?
- How are you making your goals reachable but yet challenging?
- How did you have the long-term vision and adaptability to persevere during the start of your career?
- What are some key tips that helped navigate life during the harder times?
- As you have journeyed throughout your career, how have you motivated others to support your vision or projects along the way?
- How have you been able to align your team together?
- How do you get them to share your same vision?
- As it relates to farming, what are some keys to ‘motivating” or encouraging hired hands or even 3rd party vendors to complete the expected task on time?
- Do you work with third party contributors that must meet deadlines?
- What’s your passion? What drives you to want more?
- Is this your dream job? Or what is the next step?
- What are you most excited for in the future?
- What did we miss?
- What does success “look” like to you?
- Summary and Challenge