How to Best use YOUR Data for More Profit
We all know there is a ton of data in agriculture, but do we really know how to use it to make our farms more profitable. Luke James from Ag Leader steps in to help us start from basic to technical on how your data can lead to profit boosting decisions.
- Welcome to a Farm4Profit episode
- Remind people to hit SUBSCRIBE – REMEMBER TO LEAVE REVIEWS
- Share their ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org
The listener review today is brought to you by Ag Leader
- Spraying crops is one of the most demanding jobs on the farm. It’s time sensitive. It requires precision. It needs RightSpot - Ag Leader’s latest in trusted application technology. RightSpot’s nozzle-by-nozzle control allows you to maximize the effectiveness of your inputs with the right droplet size and coverage to give the crop what it needs while minimizing wasted product and time. Level up your spraying operation. Ag Leader it. Contact your local Ag Leader dealer or visit agleader.com for more information.
- Play Old Lady Voicemail Review……..Text 515.207.9640
Play Legacy Farmer Clip #5
Ag Technology – SMS & Cloud base computing – Data & Data Management
- Eastern Sales Manager – Luke James
- Luke James is a Sales Manager (North America) at Ag Leader Technology based in Ames, Iowa. Previously, Luke was an Agronomic and Business Management consultant at James Farms
- What’s Luke’s tie to agriculture
- Where is Luke’s family farm?
- What do they farm?
- How are they using their data?
- "The agriculture industry is utilizing data more than ever before," says Brian Luck, a biological systems engineering professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. "Data is gathered on the soil within fields, the plants growing on fields, the weather occurring during growing season, and the machinery used in fields."
- What good is all the data being collected if you don’t know how to use it or read it?
- What types of things can farmers easily do with the technology available today?
- Farmers can then visualize their fields on the map and pinpoint exact areas that need more fertilizer or water.
- By providing decision support and automation, these cloud-based solutions help solve agricultural problems and increase the efficiency and productivity of farms.
- All this data sounds like a big job to store and organize. How do we do this? How to collect it?
- This plethora of information can be uploaded to the cloud, which provides enough storage, speed, and computing power to analyze the collected data and package it in a form useful to farmers.
- "Timely processing of data allows producers to take action within a growing season and correct problems before they become detrimental to yield,"
- Ag Leader’s newCloud-based Platform, AgFiniti®, puts information at the growers’ fingertips by providing tools to manage, access and share their valuable field data for use in making profit-driven management decisions on the farm.
- Ag Leader built their software from the ground up & is one of the most versatile software’s on the market.
- What is the cloud?
- Why the cloud?
- There are many benefits to cloud-based services on the farm.
- connectivity and accessibility of storage the cloud can provide. Having access to your farm data anytime right from your phone or connecting all of your displays across your operation so each one has all the latest maps and info are good examples.
- If you’re working with trusted advisors, like an agronomist, to generate custom prescriptions, it’s helpful to have it sent right to your in-cab display.
- What types of people do farmers share their data with?
- Guidance lines, prescriptions, as-applied maps and more can be sent and received wirelessly from field to office and shared with trusted advisors such as dealers, co-ops or farm managers.
- Combine to grain cart to truck driver to manager to agronomists to etc…..
- How do you know my data is safe?
- What if I’m not ready for the cloud?
- If that’s you, SMS Software can help you analyze data collected from just about any brand of display on your farm. You can choose for your data to ONLY live on your desktop.
- What does SMS mean? Or stand for?
- If we are going to look at cloud base communications what types of limitations are there?
- "The current limitation for the adoption of cloud computing services is rural internet speeds," says Luck. "Imagine having gigabytes of image data that takes hours — if not days — to get uploaded to the cloud due to slow internet speeds."
- Takes me sometimes forever to load a podcast video file to the cloud
- How do I know my information is safe?
- Sometimes the world of “big data” gets a bad rap. Especially when it comes to data privacy. Some companies in the spotlight recently haven’t done themselves any favors by not being completely transparent.
- In today’s climate, many farmers are concerned about companies using files stored, prescriptions created and other farm data that is in the cloud for analysis of their operation which can then be used against them when it’s time to make a purchase decision.
- What also makes AgFiniti different from other solutions on the market is our stance on data privacy. We know growers value their privacy and that’s why with AgFiniti the data is 100% theirs,”
- Does it take a lot of new technology to start capturing and analyzing data like we are describing?
- Ag Leader® Integra or Versa™ display users simply need to purchase an Ag Leader USB Wi-Fi Adapter and a license to access a wireless internet network in the cab through any hotspot of their choice, including: smartphone, tablet, MiFi device or office Wi-Fi network.
- What’s this going to cost our listeners?
- “AgFiniti is an affordable and reliable solution for wireless connectivity in the field because it allows users the flexibility to choose the best wireless service carrier in their local area and hotspot device,” states Luke James, Software Sales Manager.
- What are some extra benefits?
- Additionally, AgFiniti Remote Support allows dealers or farm managers to connect to the user’s display in the field for viewing and trouble-shooting from another location to help resolve issues faster and reduce downtime.
- What types of Ag leader products allow the farmer to collect data?
- Year Round Functionality
- Split Screen Capability
- Row by Row mapping from planter
- Yield Summaries
- Maps & Stats
- Does the display matter?
- Incommand 800 benefits
- AgFiniti is now available to order through Ag Leader dealers. For more information or to locate a dealer, visit agleader.com.