Farm4Profit Takes on Organic Farming
We have two stellar guests in this episode. First Rocky Ormiston joins us to share what is working for him on his farm. Then we are joined by Adam Bissell to help us figure out the world of organic farming. It isn't for everyone, but if you have a market to take advantage of we will have you loaded up with key points to consider before the end of the show!
- Thank you for listening
- Farm4Profit episode vs Farm4Fun Episode
- Thank you again for suggesting topics for us to talk about on the podcast and keep them coming. Send those to email@example.com or find us all over social media.
- We greatly appreciate your help in growing our audience.
- Today’s Head of the Class Listener Reviews are brought to you today by Geringhoff. They are head of the class, no matter the crop. Premium harvesting heads for all of your harvest needs. Our listener reviews are exactly what we need to fuel our energy each week and Geringhoff is exactly what you need to maximize your harvest each year.
- @milkincows94. Farm4Profit is great. Christopher Templeton from Wisconsin
What’s Working in AG – Ormiston Farms
- Rocky Ormiston talks about how covercrops have benefited his farm in multiple ways. He also talks about breaking the world record for corn bushels harvested in 12 hours with the help of his Geringhoff Corn Head!
Commercial – AgLeader – They have a solution for every season. Their products and solutions help integrate your entire farm year-round. Use our products to seamlessly connect your equipment and tasks so that your operation runs more efficiently than ever before.
Main topic – Organic Farming: Is it a necessary part of the future of farming?
- Guest – Adam Bissell
- Adam is the owner of Pleasant Valley Organics in St. Louis, Michigan. Together with his family they farm over 2500 acres of organic crops in the central part of the state. As his pinned tweet says: Adam sees a demand in his local market for his organic crops, but also is well aware of the need for GMO’s to help feed a growing world population.
- What types of crops are you growing this year?
- What other crops have you grown in the past?
- Who are the main end users of your product in your area?
- Has this market place always been the same?
- What got you started down the path of raising organic commodities?
- As we record this, what does your daily routine look like?
- For our listeners who might not be familiar…. What makes a crop organic?
- What types of practices do you incorporate that other farmers might not be using?
- Difference between conventional and organic
- cover crops, flame throwers, cultivators, sugars, etc...
- So far what has been the biggest challenge about managing an organic farm?
- What are some things you could share with our listeners who are thinking about incorporating organic crops to their farm?
- Things to avoid
- Things that are must do’s
- What do you consider to be some of your biggest successes?
- How do you handle the peer pressure or judgement from other farmers?
- What do you think the future is for organic crops and other products?
- Any other pieces of information to share with our listeners?
- What do you see your top producing or top tier of clients doing? –Common traits
- Commercial - BW Fusion – Focused on bringing innovative Fertility, Nutritional and Technology to the Ag market place. They combine their best-in-class products along with the 365 soil and tissue program to provide growers the tools necessary to address limiting factors in real time.
- Submit questions and topic suggestions - Like, Rate, Review, Share