ChopLocal: Connecting Locally Sourced Meats to You
Welcome to our exciting episode featuring Jared Achen, a 4th generation farmer in southeast Iowa, and the visionary behind ChopLocal. Jared, alongside his family, raises turkeys and row-crops. ChopLocal, founded by farmers, is revolutionizing the meat supply chain. Discover how ChopLocal connects consumers with locally sourced, high-quality meats, and supports small butcher shops. Whether you're considering starting a business or joining the ChopLocal platform, tune in for invaluable insights and advice from a true industry innovator.
- Jared Achen
- As a 4th generation farmer in southeast Iowa, there was never any doubt that ChopLocal Founder and CEO Jared Achen would return to the farm after completing his education. Alongside his father, sister and brother-in-law, he raises turkeys and row-crops in southeast Iowa.
- Have them each tell more about where they came from, back-story, and farms.
- What is ChopLocal?
- What is the premise?
- Founded by farmers
- Do you yourself sell products through the platform?
- Why start this business? Why ChopLocal?
- What problems are we solving?
- Get the highest quality meats for your family.
- Support local farmers and small butcher shops.
- Ensure your meat was grown & harvested in the US on farms near you.
- Help transform the meat supply chain.
- Have a business background?
- What were some of the hardest parts to getting this started?
- What would they do differently now if they started over?
- What about themselves during this process surprised them?
- Skills, determination, etc….
- Back to ChopLocal….How does it work?
- Connects with farms and farm markets
- Select a product
- Pick up or Delivery
- Where are these farms located?
- Can any of our listeners sign up to sell a product?
- How do you “vet” the stuff that gets sold out there?
- What types of products are for sale?
- Spices & Marinades
- What else?
- We have listeners that have business ideas, including us. What do you suggest are some good firsts steps to take to turn it into a reality?
- How did you get funding?
- How did you build out your platform?
- How did you attract customers?
- You’ve made it this far….What’s next?
- How can we or our listeners help you?
- Any more advice for our listeners that are curious about joining your platform or starting a business?
- What would you go back and tell yourself at age 18?